07 November, 2008

reflections on 'text to sermon'

It makes me feel like a bit of a prat. People talking about how they craft their words so carefully and spend hours writing them. It just comes out of me. I read. I think. I pray. I meditate. I don't spend much time thinking about structure, or concentrating on the content of the process of writing a sermon. I just get on with it.
Is this irresponsible? Should I do it differently? Should I spend more time reading or thinking of crafting my sermons?
It's like the way I take exams or the way I write papers. It never seems to take the time or effort that others talk of expending, but the result is always good. Which leaves me to ask a question - am I irresponsibly using the gifts that I have - i.e. it could be much better if I actually put in some serious work - or is this just the difference of my personality and the way in which I process information and perform tasks?
Sitting around feeling guilty won't accomplish anything useful, but what is the constructive way to approach it?

No comments: