10 March, 2009

purposes of blog

I have had a blog now for a few years - at least five, I should think. At first I posted rarely - perhaps once a month, or every other month, when the mood took me. When the big changes started to happen in my life, the frequency of blogs went up accordingly. My blog became one of the ways I kept certain people 'back home' in the loop of my life 'across the pond.' Then some of the folks in Cardiff got wind of it, and suddenly my audience was bigger than I had intended.
Up until that time, I had largely blogged about my life for a set of people that I did not see on a regular basis. When I mentioned people or events, often anonymously, my readers would largely not be familiar with the subjects of which I was writing. There is a certain amount of freedom in this - I could express myself unreservedly about things or persons with whom I was experiencing frustration without fearing that people would get wind of it and be hurt, affronted or angered. As this freedom of expression has diminished, I have blogged a bit less freely, carefully choosing my subjects and my manner of treating them, sticking more to the introspective, emotional and observational areas of my mind, without touching on the areas of frustration or anger in my life.

Perhaps this is one reason why my blogging has been thin of late. As pressure and frustration is mounting, I find less and less to say that seems 'safe' or 'acceptable'. Perhaps that isn't the purpose of a blog, so many people seem to use blogs as open forums to gripe about all they dislike about the world. That just doesn't seem to be the way I function.

I couldn't begin to list here all the things (or people) about which I am frustrated, angry or hurt, and some how it doesn't seem the most appropriate place, or the most mature way to behave. Maybe I'll need to rethink that, or just go on not posting. . .

1 comment:

Jenn said...

This is why livejournal is best. You can publish what you want in a forum that is secure. It is only open to those you say it is open to. Livejournal rules for this outlet and that is why i use it.