09 August, 2011

Nothing

Today's phrase is: Nothing is accomplished by doing nothing.
This phrase is especially interesting because there can be more than one way to understand it. For example, the obvious meaning is to do with a lack of anything getting done, but if you look at it differently, 'nothing' is actually getting done! I do love to play with words.
So, 'nothing' is being accomplished, but this is not at all to the purpose since I am involved in a process that is specifically aimed at something quite significant in size and scope getting done. My typical response to the awe-inspiring size of this project is to ignore it. I have no idea why some part of my brain is so illogical as to believe it will go away if I do so - why else would I ignore something so huge and important?
If I spend time doing 'nothing' and ignoring the enormous 'something' that does need to be done, I have accomplished nothing. Much like a quote from a film I watched this week: "if you expect defeat, that's what you'll get." It also recalls certain verses from the Bible that talk of falling in the pit you dug and reaping what you sow.
No amount of ignoring my mountain of work will make it cease to exist or cease to need doing. For this reason I must resolve to give up on my very successful run of accomplishing 'nothing' and try to get 'something' done instead.

No comments: