12 April, 2009

the Lord of the Dance

Some 10 or more years ago, my sister first introduced me to a song called "Lord of the Dance" sung to the tune of "Simple Gifts." At the time, I thought the song was pretty, but the language and imagery didn't speak to me - at least not very clearly. From time to time since I have encountered the song and sung it through again, making a mental note of the 'cool' song, but I have never had a copy, and never bothered to learn the lyrics.
That all changed this week when I encountered this song in a Catholic supplemental songbook while helping a friend plan an Easter worship service. When I found myself trying to sing through the song the following day, I found the book again and made the effort to learn the words off by heart and in order, so I could add this song to my personal repertoire.
A day or two later after a moving Good Friday service, I stood to the side of the room watching the interactions of the congregation, chatting and laughing over tea, coffee and hot cross buns. I was on the edge of the room by choice, I wanted to observe rather than talk. As I stood there, I sang quietly through the song again, and was suddenly struck by the connection between the lyrics I was singing and the scene which I was observing.
The song calls Jesus "the Lord of the Dance." The lyrics describe Jesus' presence at the creation of the world, his incarnation, ministry, death and resurrection, all in terms of dancing. In the end, the lyrics invite the listener/reader to join in the dance. Watching the members of this church interacting, I realized that I was watching a piece of "the dance."
With this realization, the rest of the week fell into a different mental position in my mind. Perhaps it was that I spent the time following a minister in active work, but everything - the reading and writing, the errands, setting up worship spaces, planning services, discussing ideas, eating meals and washing dishes suddenly became steps in the dance. "Do it all to the glory of God." Everything we do is a part of our dance with God, or can be if we choose to make it so, but dancing is not just following rules. This is the genius and insight of the song that I had never caught before.
Dancing tells a story. Dancing involves a certain level of intimacy and involvement, understanding and affection. Dancing is most frequently a corporate activity involving individuals and couples in a larger pattern attached to and influenced by the music.
What happens when we apply this concept of dancing to life as a Christ-follower? This isn't about 'making a decision' or about 'following rules'. It's about participating in the dance, hearing the music of God, following the lead of Jesus, minding the steps of scripture and being ever mindful of those around us in the dance, both partners and neighbors. It is about cultivating trust, love and intimacy with our Lord and our fellows. It is about joy, dancing with joy in the Lord of the Dance, his life, his love and his mission.

"Dance, dance, wherever you may be.
'I am the Lord of the Dance,' said he,
'and I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,
and I'll lead you all in the dance,' said he.

1 comment:

Simon Woodman said...

I grew up with this song - we used to sing it at school assembly on a regular basis, and I have always loved it, although the words as I remember them are slightly different to those you reference. Mike, my best man, recorded a great version of it a few years ago which I think I've got somewhere. If I can find it I'll play it to you sometime. My favourite verse:
I danced on a Friday when the world turned black
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back
They buried my body, they thought I was gone
But I am the dance, and the dance goes on