24 April, 2006

Ocean View

It was June 2 last year, a Thursday. Nearing the end of my two week journey through England and Wales. I stood on the West coast of Wales and gazed out to sea through the dimness of the clouded and wet skies. Somewhere on the other side of that vast stretch of water is home, I thought. My country, my family, my friends, my safe place. I'll be going back home soon. But for now I stood here, at the edge of the roaring waves, my face to the wet wind, in the presence of God. Stretching out my arms, I embraced the wonderful glory and love of God - the Creator of all the greatness before me.
It was April 22, last Saturday. I was on a retreat with the church women on Chincoteage island - the eastern shore of the state of Virginia. In the afternoon we drove to the ocean side of the island and parked on the edge of the beach. I stepped out of the van, and then I ran, ran to the waves as fast as I could across the soft, dry sand, across the packed, wet shore, down to the water line. The surf rushed up in greeting and swirled around my legs. I opened my arms and embraced Him. My God met me there and caressed me with the waters of the sea. I ran. I jumped. I danced. I stood still, gazing across the waters with the cold, salty breeze in my face. Somewhere on the other side of that ocean is the beach of Borth, Wales where I stood, looking this way almost a year ago. I remembered the love God had given me as I stood on the beach in Wales, and I received it again. Think of the vastness of the ocean. Its depths. Its secrets. The pathways of whale, squid, shark and fish of all kinds. My God is there. My God knows all. Think of the power of the waves and the strength of the wind. My God could stop them with a word - Peace! Be Still! And that power is in me, because my God is in me and He loves me. And I love Him.
I met God there on that beach. I felt His mighty power. I knew his awesome love for me - imperfect, undeserving failure that I am. None of that mattered as I worshiped him in awe of that power and love that is mine. Great and mighty God and Father. Holy! Holy! Holy!

No comments: